Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Southern Staple or Gift from Heaven?

Hiya folks, GG back to give you a quickie! I'm working on a longer blog with lots of cool stuff involved but wanted to drop in with my newest discovery. You may ask, "How has she lived in the South this long and NOT experienced shimp & grits?" The answer to your question is," **Shrug** I dunno! Shame on me!" I'm enamored with this Southern staple. It was again like my experience with the tamles. I had a good idea of the method, but no real working knowledge of the spices or a recipe to follow. Picture being at the house after a few weeks on the road, a long day of trying to cram everything I've missed into one day, handling a claim for a broken windshield, trying to coordinate my roommate moving out, my co driver and bro working like crazy all day in the rain to get the truck ship shape, and after a quick trip to the local conglomerate all-in-one store for a new set of locks, it's now ten o'clock at night and I have a hungry crew. I know I write about chaos a lot, but seriously? This is the soundtrack of my life. I never stop. So I picked up some large shrimp, quick but not instant grits, and green onions. I figured a quick experiment would satisfy my crew and my curiousity all at the same time. Fortunately for me I had the luck of the South on my side and it was stupendous!

Now, Niki being from California had not ever had grits. The night before Ashley, Jared, Niki, and I had ventured over to the Waffle House in Jonesboro, and while the service was a nightmare, she still did get to try cheesy grits, and loved them. This was the motivation I needed to try something new myself. I just was pretty much beat with no motivation. Not even enough motivation to research a recipe. This is what my mom would call "Kitchen Suprise". I grew up in a family of foodies and the long standing joke between us when we had no idea what to make, was this phrase. (Also, when it was time to order out mom would tell us, "I'm making green Jell-O.") So back from the store, my meager supplies put away, I started my mise en place(Everything in it's place.) to begin. This recipe fed three hungry adults. It could feed four non-starving peeps.

Shrimp & Grits Gypsy Gourmet Style
2 lbs large shrimp 21-36 ct per lb peeled, devained, tails on
1/4 stick butter (real!)
2-3 tsp minced garlic, jarred or fresh
1 T heaping cajun seasoning without salt (Mine came from Dekalb Market. Trader Joe's, Local Co-Op, or Sprouts bulk will work. Or make your own.)
3-4 stalks of green onion , greens chopped and white part discarded
1 c Quick grits, follow package directions
1/2 c finely shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
1/4 c finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4  stick butter (real butter, no plastic tub crap please!)
1/4 to 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste

Instructions:

To begin with gather your supplies and cut the green onions and set aside. Fix quick grits according to package instructions adding butter, cheese, and salt, stirring well and set aside covered. Get a large skillet hot on med-high melt butter, adding shrimp, seasoning, and garlic. Cook until done, meaning they're pink and not grey at all. This will go fast, so don't walk away or you will over cook the shrimp. At the last minute add green onions and stir, removing from heat. Voila! Shrimp and grits. Serve grits in a bowl and spoon the shrimp over the top. Easy & delicious.

This dish was a comfoting melody of flavors and substance after a crazy day. It only took about 15-20 min to prepare from start to finish, and Niki declared that it was the "New avocado." her favorite weakness. She asked me if it would be hard to prepare on the truck, and warned me that she'd ask for it on a semi regular basis. Remember folks, this is our little health nut, and she adored this recipe. I'm happy to repot that while it may or may not be exactly traditional, neither am I, and it was superb. I have taken all the time I can allow away from my crazy schedule, complicated blog, and general chaos that surrounds me. So until next time, eat well, laugh often, be you, and be free!

gypsy gourmet

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read your blog in a long time, I forgot how great it is. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! I'm so glad you enjoy it. I'll be posting more this week, so keep a look out ;)

      Delete